Shiwei Zhang grew up in rural China in Henan province. He obtained
a B.S. degree in Physics from the University of Science and Technology
of China in 1988, and came to the US via the CUSPEA (China-US Physics
Examination and Application) program organized by
Prof. T.D. Lee. He received
a Ph.D. in Physics from Cornell University in 1993. He was a Postdoctoral
Research Associate, jointly in the Theoretical Condensed Matter and the Nuclear
Theory groups, at Los Alamos National Lab for two years, and then an NSF
CISE Postdoctoral Fellow and a University Postdoctoral Fellow
at Ohio State University for almost one year. He has been a faculty member at
the College of William and Mary since 1996, where he
is now Chancellor Professor of Physics. In 2018, he took up a joint appointment
Simons Foundation, where he is
Senior Research Scientist/Group Leader at the
Center for Computational
Quantum Physics (CCQ).
- Visiting Professor, 07/2009-07/2010, Institute of Physics
(IoP), Chinese Academy of Sciences and
Renmin University of China, Beijing, China.
- Visiting Associate Professor, 03-05/2003, Institute for
Advanced Study (SISSA), Trieste, Italy
- Visiting Associate Professor, 09/2002-02/2003, Physics Department and
National Center for Supercomputer Applications (NCSA),
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, IL.
- Multiple short-term (several weeks to two months)
visits to the IoP, the KITP at UC Santa Barbara, and the INT at the
University of Washington.
Selected Honors and Awards
Fellow, American Physical Society (elected 2009).
- Plumeri Award for Faculty Excellence, College of William and Mary, 2009.
- Sally G. S. Spears Associate Professorship:
College of William and Mary, 2002-2005.
- Alumni Fellowship Award for teaching excellence:
College of William and Mary, 2001.
- Cottrell Scholar Award:
Research Corporation, USA, 2000.
- Faculty Early Career Award (CAREER): US National Science Foundation
Selected Synergistic Activities and Professional Services
- Principle Investigator,
Simons Collaboration on the Many-Electron Problem,
The 25th Annual Workshop on Recent
Developments in Electronic Structure Theory (ES2013),
June 12-14, 2013 in Williamsburg, VA.
Petascale Computing Resource Allocations (PRAC) team entitled
Peta-scale Quantum Monte Carlo Calculations'' (with WM, UIUC, Cornell,
ORNL, MIT, NCSU, FSU, and ASU), 2009-2013.
- Co-PI, DOE SciDAC team on ``Predictive Computing for Condensed Matter''
(with UIUC, WM, and Princeton), 2012-2017.
- Lead-PI, DOE
on ``Precision Many-Body Quantum Simulations of Functionalized Structures''
(with WM, Cornell, Rice, LANL), 2011-2014.
DOE Computational Materials and Chemical Sciences Network (CMCSN) team
``Quantum chemistry by random walks in Slater determinant space''
(with Cornell, Rice, WM, LLNL), 2011-2014.
- Co-organizer, Advanced School on Quantum Monte Carlo Methods
in Physics and Chemistry, the Abdus Salam International Center for
Theoretical Physics (ICTP), Trieste, Italy, Jan. 21-Feb. 2, 2008.
- Lecturer at multiple international summer/winter schools on
numerical methods, quantum Monte Carlo,
and correlated electron systems.
Created by: firstname.lastname@example.org [Aug. 2001]